1) Understand the problems with photon radiation in management with lymphoma
2) Demonstrate the potential benefit of using proton therapy dosimetry to improve upon the limitations of photon radiation listed in Charge 1)
3) Review the current clinical data for using proton therapy in lymphoma and evidence for similarity in disease control
4) Understand which patients are currently receiving proton therapy for lymphoma
5) Share experience regarding how patients are being treated using proton therapy, including treatment planning challenges and developing
6) Provide opportunity for collaborative studies among centers evaluating proton therapy in larger combined cohorts
a. Hodgkin lymphoma
b. Non-Hodgkin lymphoma
c. Relapsed/Refractory lymphoma
7) Develop Prospective research: We would like to develop a lymphoma registry combining both proton and photon patients to collect both dosimetric
data and clinical outcomes, in order to identify benefits from proton therapy long term. This registry could be developed in collaboration with ILROG
PTCOG Lymphoma Subcommittee Work:
Evidence-based Review on the Use of Proton Therapy in Lymphoma From the Particle Therapy Cooperative Group (PTCOG) Lymphoma Subcommittee.
Tseng YD, Cutter DJ, Plastaras JP, Parikh RR, Cahlon O, Chuong MD, Dedeckova K, Khan MK, Lin SY, McGee LA, Shen EY, Terezakis SA, Badiyan SN, Kirova YM13, Hoppe RT, Mendenhall NP, Pankuch M, Flampouri S, Ricardi U, Hoppe BS.
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017 Sep 21. Pii: S0360-3016(17)30901 PMID: 28943076
Consolidative Proton Therapy after chemotherapy for patients with Hodgkin lymphoma.
Hoppe BS, Hill-Kayser CE, Tseng YD, Flampouri S, Elmongy HM, Cahlon O, Mendenhall NP, Maity A, McGee LA, Plastaras JP.
Ann Oncology. 2017 Sep 1;28(9):2179-2184. PMID:28911093
PBS in Lymphoma:
Proton pencil beam scanning for mediastinal lymphoma: treatment planning and robustness assessment.
Zeng C, Plastaras JP, James P, Tochner ZA, Hill-Kayser CE, Hahn SM, Both S.
Acta Oncol. 2016 Sep-Oct;55(9-10):1132-1138 PMID27332881
Proton therapy and Breath Hold in Lymphoma:
Comparing Breath Hold and Free Breathing during Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy and Proton Therapy in Patients with Mediastinal Hodgkin Lymphoma.
Hoppe BS, Mendenhall NP, Louis D, Li Z, Flampouri S.
Mar 2017, Vol. 3, No. 4 (Spring 2017) pp. 492-496
Life years lost attributable to late effects after radiotherapy for early stage Hodgkin lymphoma: The impact of proton therapy and/or deep inspiration breath hold.
Rechner LA, Maraldo MV, Vogelius IR, Zhu XR, Dabaja BS, Brodin NP, Petersen PM, Specht L, Aznar MC.
Radiother Oncol. 2017 Aug 21. pii: S0167-8140(17)32509-4. doi: 10.1016/j.radonc.2017.07.033. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28838605
Proton therapy in Non-Hodgkin lymphoma:
Proton therapy in the management of non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
Sachsman S, Flampouri S, Li Z, Lynch J, Mendenhall NP, Hoppe BS
Leuk Lymphoma. 2015;56(9):2608-12 PMID 25669925
Clinical Trial Results:
Involved-node proton therapy in combined modality therapy in Hodgkin Lymphoma: results of a phase II study.
Hoppe BS, Flampouri S, Zaiden R, Slayton W, Sandler E, Ozdemir S, Dang NH, Lynch JW, Li Z, Morris CG, Mendenhall NP.
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2014 Aug 1;89(5):1053-9. PMID: 24928256
Estimated risk of cardiovascular disease and secondary cancers with modern highly conformal radiotherapy for early-stage mediastinal Hodgkin lymphoma.
Maraldo MV, Brodin NP, Aznar MC, Vogelius IR, Munck af Rosenschöld P, Petersen PM, Specht L.
Ann Oncol. 2013 Aug;24(8):2113-8. PMID: 23619032
From the Particle Therapy Cooperative Group (PTCOG) Lymphoma Subcommittee: Tseng YD, Cutter DJ, Plastaras JP, Parikh RR, Cahlon O, Chuong MD, Dedeckova K, Khan MK, Lin SY, McGee LA, Shen EY, Terezakis SA, Badiyan SN, Kirova YM, Hoppe RT, Mendenhall NP, Pankuch M, Flampouri S, Ricardi U, Hoppe BS.
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017 Nov 15;99(4):825-842. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2017.05.004. Epub 2017 Sep 21. Review. No abstract available